Serum. Serum. Serum. If you're into electronic music production you're probably well aware of Serum by now.
If you don't have it, I'm like... "why not?"
This synth, mostly the brainchild of Steve Duda, developed and made available by Deamau5's Xfer Records, is the one to have if you have only one. Double that if you're just starting out with music production and need a workhorse soft synth that can get pretty much everything you need done, and done well.
If you haven't obtained this little beast of an instrument, you should just get on with it and grab it right now.
Sure, the music production forums may go into riot-mode about the above statement and yes, there are other fabulous synths available. Very few fit the bill for one-and-only though. I can think about two, max three, soft synths in my top seven that would even qualify.
Want to make life easier, cheaper and more fun though? Want to make the informed choice on your first synth without the drudgery of endless feature comparisons and mountains of public opinion? Just get Serum. You'll be in quite decent company.
It's the only synth included in this list of must-have plugins for dance music production for a ton of reasons which I, for the sake of brevity, won't elaborate on here.
Let's just say...
- It's clean. I mean clean as a brand new razor clean. The oscillators of course. A lot of behind-the-scenes tech-geekery went into this not-so-easy feat. Look it up. You'll see what I mean.
- It's easy. Intuitive and very visual layout. Drag-and-drop easy automation and modulation. Lots of fun possibilities to be had.
- It's able. You can make pretty much any sound you can imagine with Serum. That's just a simple fact.
- It's full-featured. From wavetables right through to effects. This is a synth designed by someone who knows music, music production and the needs and wants of producers at a high level.
- It's deep. Do you want to dig in and geek-out? Serum has you covered.
There's no doubt that Serum has become one of the most popular plugins for dance music producers. It's just that good! Grab it now here. (affiliate link)